Sword and Buckler: blade grabs

Discussion of historical combat techniques and their application.

Sword and Buckler: blade grabs

Postby markholgate » Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 am

Hi all,

We've been playing around with sword and buckler recently, and we've been executing some fun blade grabs. From a hanging parry, we grab the blade with an anti-clockwise movement of the buckler hand. I recall there were sources for this technique, but I cannot ferret them out. Can anyone out there help?

(I know Lignitzer's btw , but that's a grab with the sword hand))

Cheers

Mark
markholgate

Re: Sword and Buckler: blade grabs

Postby David A. Rowe » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am

Hi Mark,

I.33 shows a couple of blade grabs, on f. 16r as a counter to your opponent attempting to displace you by approaching in langort, and on 22r where you lay a trap in vidilpoge, which sounds quite similar to what you're doing. I've started working with I.33 recently, and find that these flow quite easily from the bind anytime your opponent waits in the bind, especially if the sword is resting on your buckler.
David Rowe
Virginia Academy of Fencing
"For as we are not all of a single nature, so we also cannot have a single style in combat,
yet all must nonetheless arise and be derived from a single basis."
-Joachim Meyer
David A. Rowe
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby chuck wyatt » Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am

Paulus Hector Mair has a couple of blade grabs:

http://freifechter.com/PHM_Sword_n_Buckler.pdf

See: 24/304, 27/307,28/308,29/309

and a beard grab! 30/310
Chuck Wyatt
MEMAG.net
chuck wyatt
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Borislav Krustev » Thu May 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Another blade grab in Talhoffer -

Image is small, because wiktenauer now sends you to the full facsimile. Check his sword and buckler session there.

Mind that going for a blade grab intentionally can be a bit suicidal.... they usually happen when the opponent goes two fa forward.
Borislav Krustev

Postby Jonathan Allen » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Manciolino has a couple of sword grabs when playing at the half sword (binding).

The eleventh fashion of offending is that finding yourself also with the left foot forward, you will cross with your right foot toward his left side and in this passing you will make a sign of striking him with a mandritto, but you will hit his thigh with a lovely riverso, and you will remain uncovered in your upper parts in order to provoke your enemy to attack those, but as he does as you wished, gliding your sword into guardia di testa you will protect yourself there, and then with your buckler hand you will take his sword to the inside of yours, giving him a fendente to the head or a thrust to the face.

The sixteenth offense is that you will cross toward his right side into large pace with your left foot, and in such stepping you will take the enemy's sword at the middle with your buckler hand, striking him in the right temple with a riverso.
Jonathan Allen
Scholars of Alcalá
San Diego, CA
http://grauenwolf.wordpress.com/
Jonathan Allen
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby markholgate » Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 pm

thanks guys, I'm pretty sure the i33 play is what i had in mind. And the others are great value.
markholgate

Return to Martial Techniques