Turkenmasken

Historical arms and armor, as well as modern replicas and HEMA training gear (including new books and DVDS), are reviewed and discussed herein.

Turkenmasken

Postby Mike Ruhala » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 am

I was trying to figure out what style of crossbow would be appropriate for the 16th century battlefield when I stumbled into this,

http://epicmeltemi.files.wordpress.com/ ... 075619.jpg

I've seen one of these before but it was represented as a fechtschule mask. Can anybody make out what the exhibit says?
Mike Ruhala
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Turkenmasken

Postby Darijan R. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am

Die ausgestellten Masken bildeten Wechselvisiere zu dem unter dem orientalischen Kostüm verborgenen Harnisch. Sie sind in der Form von Türkengesichtern getrieben und naturalistisch mit Ölfarbe bemalt. Die Sehschlitze werden durch Augenbrauen kaschiert. Die Schnurrbärte bestehen aus Lederstreifen in die Roßhaar eingeflochten wurde. Diese Masken für "Hussarische Turniere" sind vermutlich Arbeiten der Prager Hofplattner Wolfgang Keiser und Melchior Pfeifer.

The shown masks are exchangeable visors for the armour that was (worn) hidden under an oriental costume. They are hammered into the form of turkish faces and naturalistically painted with oil paint. The eye slots are disguised as eyebrows. The moustache is leather with horsehair woven in. These masks for "Hussar Tournaments" are presumably the work of the prague court armourers Wolfgang Keiser and Melchior Pfeifer.
Sword Combatives
Graz - Austria

"You dun goofed!"

-Me
Darijan R.

Postby Mike Ruhala » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am

Awesome! Thank you!
Mike Ruhala
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby M Wander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

Dastardly Darijan beat me too it.
"Always be vary of any helpful item that weighs less than it's operating manual." Terry Pratchett
M Wander

Return to Equipment