Meyer Rappier

For internal business and projects of the MFFG. Non-MFFG users are welcome to post relevant material.

Meyer Rappier

Postby A Froster » Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Would something like this side sword made by Darkwood Armoury be suitable to use for Rappier as taught by Joachim Meyer?

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=143
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.
A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Meyer Rappier

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sat May 08, 2010 3:41 pm

That looks pretty close to Meyer's illustrations to me!
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jon Wolfe » Sun May 09, 2010 12:53 pm

I would agree. Though, you know you want to join the Dark Side and start studying the Italian tradition of rapier fencing, you know it to be true.
Jon Wolfe

Postby A Froster » Sun May 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Jon Wolfe wrote:I would agree. Though, you know you want to join the Dark Side and start studying the Italian tradition of rapier fencing, you know it to be true.

Ah contraire, I have a suspicion that Meyer Rappier and Achille Marozzo's side sword could be intimately related. That is to say cousins. If that eventually turns out to be true then it was J. Meyer who crossed to the dark side so that I woundn't have too.
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.
A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Excellent choice. For "Cut & Thrust" play (i.e. Meyer/Marozzo/"Sidesword") be sure to get either the Spada blade or the Sidesword blade.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto
Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Mike Cartier » Mon May 10, 2010 5:52 am

Ah contraire, I have a suspicion that Meyer Rappier and Achille Marozzo's side sword could be intimately related. That is to say cousins. If that eventually turns out to be true then it was J. Meyer who crossed to the dark side so that I woundn't have too.

well we do have some proof that Meyer actually learned his cut and thrust from marozzo so i would expect there to be more than a little relation.
-mike cartier
Freyfechter
Meyer Freifechter Guild South Florida
http://www.freifechter.com
Mike Cartier
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jon Wolfe » Tue May 11, 2010 7:50 am

I tend to think of Meyer's and Marozzo's rappier as more along the lines of the side sword, though that's not really a period term. I was referring to middle tradition of rapier, after the era of the side sword and before the era of the transitional rapier that evolved into the small sword. Man, Kevin, the engagement range of the middle rapier is really something, I think the biggest eye-opener for me was not with lunging, because I had a brief sport fencing background before getting involved in HEMA, but the deep body leaning at the hips and waist that really gives you a long reach, combined with the shifting of torso with the use of the legs. Also, using a weapon the length of a longsword in one hand helps as well, but it only helps, you can't rely just on the length of your weapon.

*edit*
You could also think of your off hand as if you were born with a deformity and that it was conjoined with your chest or face. :D
Jon Wolfe

Postby Keith P. Myers » Wed May 26, 2010 2:39 pm

A Froster wrote:Would something like this side sword made by Darkwood Armoury be suitable to use for Rappier as taught by Joachim Meyer?

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=143

Hey Allen!

What did you decide about the Darkwood Armoury Rappier? I have one of CAS Hanwei's sidesword trainers on order. It should be here in a couple of days. It was only $120, so I thought it would make a for a good start. But the Darkwood Armoury blade looks like it might be next on the list! I'm reviewing Meyer's Rappier and then I will start translating Jakob Sutor's Rappier section. The next time I can come down to Florida we may have to have a rappier/side sword session. Jon will be thrilled! :D
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby A Froster » Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Keith P. Myers wrote:Hey Allen!

What did you decide about the Darkwood Armoury Rappier? I have one of CAS Hanwei's sidesword trainers on order. It should be here in a couple of days. It was only $120, so I thought it would make a for a good start. But the Darkwood Armoury blade looks like it might be next on the list! I'm reviewing Meyer's Rappier and then I will start translating Jakob Sutor's Rappier section. The next time I can come down to Florida we may have to have a rappier/side sword session. Jon will be thrilled! :D

I haven't decided anything yet. So far it will fall between the Darkwook Rappier and Maybe Albion's Marozzo (if they ever make them). My problem is that I have to save for two of them so that I can get someone to play with me. I cant fight Jon because he'll try to convince me that my side sword and his Capo Ferro Rapier are the same length. I don't trust that guy for some reason. :?
A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jon Wolfe » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 am

I'm a trustworthy guy.... Just remember that the length of the weapon is only part of the equation, though you may not want to go into a higher guard when facing someone who is using the Italian middle-rapier methods.
Jon Wolfe

Return to Meyer Frei Fechter Guild