* Drill Number - 0037
* Drill Name – Clean Springing
* Type - Solo Lunging Drill
* Skills Trained – Physical Flexibility, Lunging and Thrusting Posture, Sense of Measure
* Props - Weapon Simulator, Pell/Stationary Target
* Description – Set up your pell, and then step out of measure. Advance into measure and do a thrust. It doesn't have to be spectacular, just do the thrust from where you're most comfortable. Practice thrusting from this position about ten times. Then mark where you had lunged from on the ground, step back out of measure, and approach again. This time, try to thrust from a bit further out, perhaps only a simple step's distance. Continue this cycle until you've found the distance that requires you to lunge to complete a thrust, and practice thrusting from this area. As you get comfortable at a certain lunging distance, try to increase it, although not past the point of martial reality (if you're having to stumble to recover, you've lunged too far).
* Remarks – Astute observers will see that this drill can apply to any weapon that has a thrusting component to it, it isn't limited to rapier or any sword in particular. While the lunge is usually associated with slender thrusting swords, having the ability to spring from across the mat and plant a bladetip in someone can certainly be useful in a messer fight.
Do right, there is nothing else.