Catch Wrestling

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.

Catch Wrestling

Postby Jason Taylor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

I've been recently turned onto catch wrestling by a class Itook in Houston, and it seems like it has a few things in its favor. It's closer to combative wrestling, being that it grew out of the really hardcore stuff in the European and later American wrestling traditions. It's also a bridge to modern wrestling, meaning any of you guys with high school wrestling experience could probably fill in a lot of blanks. Also, it can in turn fill in the blanks to some of Kampfringen's unshown basics. Plus, it's cool. It's submission wrestling with a historical twist, which means we can practice actually rolling with it.

Here's the catch: we need the martial arts room in the SRC to do it well. Or maybe the wrestling room in the old KNES building, if it's available, but that's always really spotty. Anyway, is anybody interested in trying this out? I'm not trying to announce yet another new study group here, but Ringen is always going to be part of our curriculum anyway, and I think that the catch wrestling stuff is in the right tradition and enough of a light to shine on general Ringen that it would be pretty helpful. Plus, it's cool. And fun, from what I've done grappling with people just in jiu-jitsu stuff.

Anybody in? I have two sources in book form, both instructionals from around 1912 or so. I'm also looking at a DVD series but I'm waiting to get some feedback from some more experienced guys on whether it's the right stuff or not. We might be able to pool some money to get a copy for the group if we really like it.

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle
Jason Taylor

Re: Catch Wrestling

Postby Justin_Beck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm all about learning new unarmed fighting techniques, so I'm most likely in on this.

Unfortunately my grappling experience is limited and may not be applicable, and any full on ground wrestling experience is pretty much non existent, so I'd be starting from square one.
Justin_Beck

Postby william_cain_iii » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 am

Arrgh, why do you keep tempting me to come down with more stuff!

Just when I'm starting to sort of understand this Judo thing...

In short, I'm very interested ;)
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself
william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Dylan Asbury » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Brazillian Jiujutsu and high school wrestling both have a lot in common with catch wrestling. If someone's teaching, I'd love to learn and I feel like it'd bridge really well into grappling with a sword.
Dylan Asbury

Postby Jason Taylor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 pm

My plan is to find a good instruction and work through it together, actually. I can't teach it since I have no wrestling background, but if we have a good instructional book or vid (there's a fair number) we can use that and we can all work on it together, say off of a laptop or just out of the book. That way, you guys with wrestling experience get a chance to review it and add your take, and we all get a better learning experience.

The submissions look pretty badass, actually.

Jason
Jason Taylor

Postby Sean C » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Submitted for your approval... Dwarf Unarmed Combat
Sean C

Postby william_cain_iii » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 am

I'm willing to help out with this project by putting together an Ukemi lesson plan (break-falling from Judo). Knowing how to fall properly is important no matter what kind of wrestling you're doing, and we spend a good bit of time on falling and rolling in Judo.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself
william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Antonio Delgado » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 am

I would LOVE to get into this, but my schedule is so screwy Im not sure how much time I can cut out for it (I cant even get to CSUF on weds..ugh)
And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

Kron Martial Arts
Orange County, CA
Antonio Delgado

Postby Jason Taylor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Turns out Erik Paulson has an MMA gym in Fullerton and he teaches catch. I have it on good authority that he knows what he's talking about. $99 a month or so, though....
Jason Taylor

Postby Peter Hoff » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 pm

I did a lot of nak bup (Korean for falling technique) in Kuk Sool Won, and I feel competent to teach it if anyone's interested. We started from seated or kneeling positions, so we could do it on grass if we don't have access to a mat. Both of the Fullerton park location Myles and I looked at had mats, so those are also an option if we can't get into the wrestling room.

Also, I'm definitely interested.
Peter Hoff
HEMA Alliance Member

Next

Return to Kron Martial Arts